- Professor of Management Information Systems
- Director of Executive Education
Dr. Anil K. Maheshwari is Director of Executive Education and Professor of Management Information Systems. He is interested in and has published over 25 research papers and book chapters in the fields of leadership, technology, and consciousness. His research has been published in Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion, Creativity Research Journal, Humanistic Management Journal, Family Business Review, Journal of Development Research, and other scholarly journals (see research details below). He is active in the Management, Spirituality and Religion (MSR) division of the Academy of Management. He has also made over 30 presentations, at the Academy of Management (AOM), International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), World Association of Vedic Studies (WAVES), National Teachers Congress, International Yoga Day conference, and many other major conferences. He teaches courses in data analytics, strategic management, leadership, enterprise performance management, and more. He is the author of a dozen books on technology, management, and spirituality. His book Data Analytics Made Accessible is #1 global bestseller, and has been published by McGraw-Hill, and also translated into Chinese language. His co-authored book on Social Entrepreneurship will be published in 2022.
In May 2021, Dr. Maheshwari organized the International conference on Consciousness-based leadership and management. The conference was co-sponsored by the MSR division. This conference brought over 90 speakers from diverse fields and geographies over three days to map the path to flourishing humanity. Many people likened the conference to the SCI conferences of 1971-72 where many researchers from diverse backgrounds presented in conversation with Maharishi. All the panel discussions are available here for viewing.
Among his recent publications, in November 2021, he coauthored a paper on Quantum Worldviews: How science and spirituality are converging to transform consciousness for meaningful solutions to wicked problems, published in the Humanistic Management Journal. This paper presents alternative ontology and vocabulary for generating prosocial and pro-environmental behavior consistent with humanistic management.
In December 2021, he published a theoretical paper on higher consciousness management (HCM) in Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion (JMSR) the top academic journal in his field. This paper presents three key principles for HCM, and some ways of developing those capabilities in organizations. It presents our V-theory of transcendence which models a wide range of contemplation and meditation techniques to transcend surface reality and connect with pure consciousness, which is the unified field of all the laws of nature.
In January 2022, he published a beautiful empirical paper on the impact of Maharishi Vastu on Workplace Well-being, also in JMSR. This experimental research showed a statistically significant improvement in well-being by the employees of a company, within about a month of moving into a Maharishi Vastu office building from a conventional office building. In a related 2019 paper, published in Creativity Research journal, the experimental research showed an amazing 60-80% increase in original thinking upon moving to the Maharishi Vastu building.
In January 2022, Dr. Maheshwari also published a qualitative empirical paper on Yoga Sutras and Spiritual Entrepreneurship, in the World Scientific Encyclopedia of Business Sustainability, Ethics and Entrepreneurship. This paper describes the eight limbs of union in Yoga Sutras and how they enabled three prominent spiritual entrepreneurs in different ways – Mahatma Gandhi, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Swami Ramdev. The paper explores how existing and new tools using Yoga Sutras can help unite humanity and address complex grand challenges.
At the 2021 AOM conference, he organized and led an All- Academy Theme Symposium on High Consciousness Manager, with research colleagues from around the world. In AOM meetings in 2020, he published a research paper on Vedic Leadership. He has led many Professional Development Workshops (PDWs) on Gandhi, Transcendence, Creativity, Sustainability, and more, over the years. He has published many book chapters on Yoga Sutras such as Yoga Sutras and Well being, Yoga Sutras and Moksha (liberation), Yoga Sutras and World Peace, etc. He has also written book chapters and articles on Big Data, Data Analytics, Consciousness-based Education, Smart cities, Reflective thinking, and more.
Dr. Maheshwari brings 20 years of IT industry experience including 9 years in leadership roles at IBM in Austin, TX. He has been a Professor at the University of Cincinnati, City University of New York, University of Illinois, and others. He earned a B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology in Delhi, an MBA from Indian Institute of Management in Ahmedabad, and a Ph.D. in Management from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. He also completed his MA in Reading Vedic Literature from MIU. He is a practitioner of Transcendental Meditation™ and TM-Sidhi techniques. He was awarded the coveted Maharishi Award in 2015 for organizing blissful cultural events. He blogs on Blissful Living. He is an avid walker, and has also run a marathon.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH (1995)
Major: Management Information Systems, Minor: Organizational Behavior.
Doctoral Dissertation: “Reflection and Representation: Use of Information Technologies to promote organizational learning”
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India (1983)
Major(s): Systems and Marketing
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.)
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India (1981)
Major(s): Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Masters of Arts (M.A.) in Reading Vedic Literature (2020)
Maharshi International University, Fairfield, Iowa.
Recite the Vedas in Sanskrit
- IBM’s Leadership Development Certificate program.(2002)
- Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa (2012- current)
Professor, Management Information Systems
Director of the MBA-IS program
Director of the Center for Data Analytics
- City University of New York, Zicklin School of Business. (1996-99)
Assistant Professor (tenure track)
- University of Cincinnati, School of Business, Ohio. (1995-96)
- Colorado Technical University, Colorado Springs, CO (2009-13)
Adjunct Professor, Management Information Systems
- University Of Illinois, Chicago, IL (2012)
Adjunct Professor, IT Project Management
- Maheshwari, Anil K. (2014). Data Analytics Made Accessible.
- Maheshwari, Anil K, (2019, July). Big Data, 2nd edition. ISBN: 978-9353167950. McGraw-Hill, India
- Maheshwari, Anil K, (2017, Jan). Data Analytics. ISBN: 978-9352604180. McGraw-Hill, India.
- Maheshwari, Anil K. (2016). Big Data Made Accessible.
- Gupta, Nisha, and Maheshwari, Anil K. (forthcoming). Social Entrepreneurship: Solutions for a Sustainable World. Gian Publishers. Delhi
- Maheshwari, Anil K, (2017, July). Data Analytics Made Accessible (Chinese). ISBN: 978-9864764556. GoTop Publishing, Taipei.
- Maheshwari, Anil K, (2018, Feb). Big Data Made Accessible (Chinese). ISBN: 978-9864766901. GoTop Publishing, Taipei.
- Maheshwari, Anil K, (2017, July). Big Data. ISBN: 978-9352605026. McGraw-Hill, India.
- Maheshwari, Anil K. (2015). Business Intelligence and Data Mining. New York: Business Expert Press. ISBN: 978-1631571206.
- Maheshwari, Anil K. (2016). Moksha: Liberation Through Transcendence. Amazon.com/dp/B01E88QUB2
- Maheshwari, Anil K. (2016). Transformative Leadership Made Accessible. Amazon.com/dp/ B01LYATU2L
- Maheshwari, Anil K. (2017). Marketing Made Accessible. Amazon.com/dp/B072J8DWNF