Online PhD in Physiology & Health
This PhD in Physiology & Health is a research program that is designed for graduate health professionals or those with a master’s in physiology, master of science in Maharishi AyurVeda and Integrative Medicine, or the equivalent, to conduct original research on the clinical effects and basic mechanisms of Maharishi AyurVeda, the Transcendental Meditation® technique, and other prevention-oriented, natural health care programs.
The objectives of the PhD in Physiology & Health program are:
- To give students training in research design and implementation at the doctoral level, leading to publication
- To provide a program for advanced original research on the effects of modalities of Maharishi AyurVeda, including Transcendental Meditation and other natural health care programs. Examples of topics with faculty expertise available for research thesis include:
- Applied molecular biology
- Cardiovascular health
- Neuroscience applications in health
- Stress-related mental health disorders
- Evidence-based Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine
In our PhD in Physiology & Health program, you will:
- Receive training in research design and implementation at the doctoral level, leading to the publication of your discoveries
- Perform specialized research on how Transcendental Meditation and Maharishi AyurVeda impact specific areas and conditions such as aging, cardiovascular health, and PTSD
- Enjoy the support of a community of bright minds and fellow researchers who are dedicated to studying natural cures and treatments
What is Maharishi AyurVeda?
Ayurveda — which means “science of life” — is a traditional system of medicine originating in ancient India. Ayurveda is a comprehensive, prevention-oriented system of natural health that addresses the body, mind, and environment to provide a holistic cure.
MIU teaches Maharishi AyurVeda, a unique form of Ayurveda that has been re-evaluated from a scientific perspective for modern-day use. Our PhD program integrates Maharishi AyurVeda with modern scientific understanding to take an integrated approach to medicine.
Moving science forward
MIU faculty and graduate students continue to advance the scientific understanding of the mechanisms and applications of natural, prevention-oriented methods for the health of the individual and society.
When you become part of our PhD program, you’ll specialize your research in one area of health — examples include neuroscience, stress-related mental disorders, and applied molecular biology — and discover how regular meditation practice and ayurvedic techniques impact that area.
A supportive community
During your time at our university, you will be surrounded by an online community of people who are passionate about researching natural and integrative cures for today’s illnesses.
In addition to studying under some of the greatest modern minds in natural medicine, you’ll meet supportive friends who share your values and are committed to making the world a better, healthier place.
Get started by contacting Noreen
Noreen Dillman is this program’s admissions counselor for US students. Noreen will provide you with all the details of becoming a student, including connecting you with program faculty when you have questions. International students may connect with their admissions counselor through our contact form.