MIU is fully committed to sustainable practices as one of America’s most green universities. Renewable energy, sustainable buildings, and organic food are high priorities.
MIU was the first university in the US to offer a BA in Sustainable & Regenerative Living and an MBA with a Sustainable Business Specialization and is the only university to offer a BA in Regenerative Organic Agriculture and an MS in Regenerative Organic Agriculture.
Renewable energy and sustainable buildings
- 1.1 million watt solar array provides one-third of MIU’s electric power – 40% of the campus’ needs are met from renewable resources
- New construction must be LEED-certified or meet standards of a comparable third-party rating system
- Groundbreaking net-zero Sustainable Living Center
- 95% of food budget spent on organic food, including locally grown produce
- 80% of dining hall food scraps composted – compost is used on our student farm
- 100% of campus grounds maintained organically