10 Things to Know Before You Arrive
Make sure to arrive in time to learn about what’s new and different at MIU. Also, when to register for classes, move into your new campus room, and much more. See the welcome and orientation events for new students.
- Climate and clothing: Iowa generally has hot and humid summers, cold winters, and wet springs. Temperatures vary widely during the year. Winter may bring snow, freezing rain, or very cold wind. A very warm coat, boots, hat or hood, gloves, and an umbrella are needed. Natural fabrics like cotton, wool, and down will keep you the warmest. In the summer, lightweight fabrics, light colors, a brimmed hat, and sunglasses will protect you from the sun and heat. If it is not possible to buy some of these items before you arrive, don’t worry — you can easily get such items by shopping in Fairfield.
- What to bring for your on-campus room: Our rooms are cozy, so don’t overpack! You should only bring items that can be easily stored in your room. Your room will have a bed, a desk, a desk chair, a closet-dresser, and a wastebasket. The furniture provided in the room meets most students’ needs, and it cannot be removed without prior approval. You should not bring large pieces of furniture. If you want to provide your own bed, you must let us know ahead of time so we can remove the furnished bed before you arrive. The windows have drapes, shades, or blinds. US students must bring their own bedding and linens — pillows, blankets, sheets, and towels. Regular twin size sheets will fit the mattresses. You may bring other personal items to make your room more comfortable; for example, clothes hangers, a desk lamp, an iron, your computer, an extension cord, and a UL-approved outlet strip with a breaker switch. A fan may also be useful. You may bring small appliances like hot water dispensers and coffee makers. You may have a small refrigerator in your room.
- What not to bring for my on-campus room: For fire safety purposes, we ask that you not bring open flame devices or open element cooking units like hot plates, cooking appliances, or microwave ovens. Also any lamp, particularly halogen lamps, that require a bulb greater than 150 watts produce a lot of heat and are not safe. Pets of all kinds are not permitted on campus.
- Should I bring my bicycle or car? We encourage people to walk or ride bicycles around campus instead of driving — it’s good exercise, you don’t consume fossil fuels or pollute the air, and you can easily get to where you need to go. Most buildings on campus have designated bicycle racks and the relatively flat terrain makes bicycling easy. Basic supplies and toiletries are available on campus through the University Store and the Golden Dome Market and Café. If you bring a car or bicycle, you must register it (free for bicycles and $50 per year for cars).
- Telephone / Cable TV / Internet services Once you have registered, you may order a private telephone for your room or take advantage of the university’s free voice mail system. Many students use cell phones; however, most service providers require long contract terms that may be inconvenient or costly. Be sure to read all terms and conditions carefully before purchasing a cell phone plan. All residence halls have high-speed Internet connections and most are equipped with TV rooms. If you do not already have an email address, you can apply for a university email account after you arrive on campus.
- Accident and Health Insurance All students enrolled at the MIU in at least a half-time program are automatically covered by accident insurance for accidents occurring on campus. The university does not provide medical insurance for US students but encourages them to have adequate health insurance coverage. In addition, all students should bring sufficient cash to cover health-related costs not covered by health insurance, including transportation to medical appointments.
- Personal Property Insurance MIU does not carry insurance on personal property. We suggest that you determine if your personal property is covered by insurance you or your family already have. If it is not, you may wish to purchase personal property insurance. There are a number of private insurance agencies in Fairfield that provide policies for student residences.
- Can I ship personal belongings prior to arrival? Small packages can be sent before you register and held at the campus mailroom. Packages should be clearly addressed to: [Your Name], New Student Arriving On [Date], Maharishi International University, Fairfield, IA 52557
- Shoes for the Rec Center Before using the facilities at the MIU Recreation Center everyone needs to bring extra indoor athletic shoes to change into.
- Places to Stay in Fairfield, IA See our suggestions for places to stay within a few minutes of campus.