The mission of the general education program is that every MIU graduate will acquire a broad range of ideas and ways of thinking, learn to make connections across academic disciplines, and develop an appreciation for the liberal arts. The general education program is the core of an undergraduate education, and this core is especially important to a university which poses several challenges to the dominant paradigm of modern science with which most students are familiar.
General education at MIU includes the following:
- Essential learning outcomes identified by the University which provide a new framework to guide students’ cumulative progress through college
- Foundational courses which introduce ideas fundamental to MIU’s consciousness-based framework
- Critical and Creative Thinking Seminars for helping students during their time as a student and leads to greater success after they graduate
- General education graduation requirements, in addition to the specific graduation requirements for each academic department’s degree programs, for bachelor’s, master’s and PhD degrees
- Forest academies to provide the opportunity for students to explore more deeply the principles associated with the development of their own inner intelligence