The Wisdom of David Lynch
“Meditation is a dive all the way within, beyond thought, to the source of thought and pure consciousness. It enlarges the container every time you transcend. When you come out, you come out refreshed, filled with energy and enthusiasm for life.”
More quotes from David Lynch…
- I don’t remember my dreams too much. I hardly have ever gotten ideas from nighttime dreams. But I love daydreaming and dream logic and the way dreams go.
- This whole world is wild at heart and weird on top.
- Stories hold conflict and contrast, highs and lows, life and death, and the human struggle and all kinds of things.
“If you stay true to your ideas, film-making becomes an inside-out, honest kind of process.”
- I discovered that if one looks a little closer at this beautiful world, there are always red ants underneath.
- Building a set is like building a place, but it’s a temporary place, because sets usually get torn down. Kind of unfortunate.
- Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there’s humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd.
“Negativity is the enemy of creativity.”
- In Hollywood, more often than not, they’re making more kind of traditional films, stories that are understood by people. And the entire story is understood. And they become worried if even for one small moment something happens that is not understood by everyone
- A poet could write volumes about diners, because they’re so beautiful. They’re brightly lit, with chrome and booths and Naugahyde and great waitresses. Now, it might not be so great in the health department, but I think diner food is really worth experiencing periodically.
- Intuition is the key to everything, in painting, filmmaking, business – everything. I think you could have an intellectual ability, but if you can sharpen your intuition, which they say is emotion and intellect joining together, then a knowingness occurs.
“Transcendental Meditation is an ancient mental technique that allows any human being to dive within, transcend and experience the source of everything. It’s such a blessing for the human being because that eternal field is a field of unbounded intelligence, creativity, happiness, love, energy and peace.”
- A film – especially when it’s a personal film – is going to hit somebody or it’s not. There’s nothing you can do about it.
- Humor is very interesting to me. My films are not comedies, but there’s comedy in them from time to time, absurdities, just like in real life.
- To make the script, you need ideas, and for me a lot of times, a final script is made up of many fragments of ideas that came at different times.
“Transcendental Meditation is like a car, a vehicle that allows you to go within. It’s a mental technique.”
- You don’t need a special place to meditate. You can transcend anywhere in the world. The unified field is here, and there, and everywhere.
- A filmmaker doesn’t have to suffer to show suffering. You just have to understand it. You don’t have to die to shoot a death scene.
- Life should be blissful, and blissful doesn’t mean just a small happiness. It’s huge. It is profound.