Intermediate Sanskrit and Reading the Vedic Literature
“Reading the Vedic literature in sequence is the procedure to spontaneously train the brain physiology and the whole physiology of speech to function in the most orderly way, so that every thought, speech, and action is spontaneously promoted in the evolutionary direction of Natural Law, and thereby spontaneously enjoys full support of the evolutionary quality of intelligence that upholds order and evolution in the entire universe.”
with Professor Keith Wegman
Course Structure: This is now available as an online self-study course, to be viewed at your convenience. Videos and course materials are available to view for one year after signing up.
- $95 general tuition fee
- $65 for full-time students, full-time TM Teachers/MIU/MSAE/MERU/MF staff and faculty, low-income retirees, and anyone adversely affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
- India, South Africa, and certain other countries have a discounted rate of $35. Please locate your country in the form and find and enter your rate.
The course fee includes detailed study guides and course materials.
Reading the Vedic literature in Sanskrit is a technology of Maharishi Vedic ScienceSM to accelerate the unfoldment of higher states of consciousness. This 5-week, 10-lesson course is designed to bring your introductory Sanskrit practice to the next level of fluency and ease.
Each class session will include:
- Reading the Dhatupatha of Pāṇini, which consists of easy-to-read syllables which are also fundamental verbal roots (or dhatus) of Sanskrit, starting with the root, Bhu. Maharishi describes Bhu in a video which we will view. This text provides a perfect opportunity for beginning readers to practice reading out these numerous combinations of sound.
- Recitation from the revered Vedic text, Mahalakshmi Ashtakam. One verse during each lesson will be presented, first as an unfolding sequence of syllables, and then repeated until recitation of the verse is comfortable and fluid.
- Special lectures of Maharishi discussing these and other topics related to Sanskrit and Vedic sound as the Language of Nature, including:
- “The Phonology of Creation” (1972)
- “The Root Bhu and Vedic Grammar” (1972)
- Discussion of the content, as well as questions and answers.
- Special Vedic recitations by Maharishi Vedic Pandits.
- A 10-minute group meditation to conclude, which is optional and occurs after the 90-minute class session.
About Professor Keith Wegman
Dr. Keith Wegman has taught numerous undergraduate and graduate level courses in Sanskrit and Maharishi Vedic Science and has researched and lectured in these subjects both nationally and internationally over the last 25 years. He is also a Certified Teacher of the Transcendental Meditation® technique and is the Director of TM® instruction at the Raj Ayurveda Health Spa.
Dr. Wegman received his PhD in Maharishi Vedic Science from Maharishi International University in 2004, his MA in Science of Creative Intelligence® from Maharishi International University in 1993, and BA in Philosophy/Art from St. Olaf College in 1991. He lives in Fairfield, Iowa, with his wife Sankari and two children, Jayanta and Uma.
Are there any prerequisites for taking the course?
Yes, Introduction to Sanskrit and Reading the Vedic Literature is the prerequisite.
How long are the videos available to view?
For at least one year after you’ve enrolled.
Where can I contact the organizer of this event with any questions?
Please email the Office of Continuing Education at email@example.com. Or you can call 641-919-0045 during office hours: Monday – Friday 10:00 am – noon and 1:00 – 4:00 pm (Central Time).
What is the refund policy?
We offer full refunds to anyone who requests them before starting the third class.