Visitors Weekend Travel Information
Transportation to and from MIU
The best airports to consider are Des Moines (DSM) and Cedar Rapids (CID). We recommend that, if possible, your inbound flight arrives before 1:00 PM on Thursday, and your outbound flight departs after 6:00 PM on Saturday. The Moline (MLI) and Burlington (BRL) airports could also be considered.
The nearest Amtrak stations are in Mt. Pleasant and Ottumwa. Greyhound offers bus service to Fairfield.
To request complimentary transportation from an airport, train or bus station, please fill out the MIU Transportation Request Form. We will also arrange transportation back to the airport, train or bus station when the weekend is over. Early in your stay, we will determine your specific departure time from campus and confirm it with you.
If you prefer to arrange your own transportation, a list of private drivers is available on request. In this case, please note that the GPS address to use is”1000 N 4th St. Fairfield, Iowa 52557″.
Check-in / Check-out
- Check-in is at the Welcome Desk in the Argiro Student Center, 1000 N 4th Street Fairfield, IA 52557 on Thursday between 1:00 and 6:30 PM.
- If you are unable to make the scheduled check-in time, please contact the Campus Visitor Coordinator at your earliest convenience: Office (641) 470-1321 | Cell (641) 919-1357. If your arrival to campus will be after 9:00 PM, please contact MIU Campus Security when you get here for access to your room: (641) 472-1115.
- Please be prepared to check out of your room by 5:00 PM on Saturday.
- If you would like to extend your stay in Fairfield, please contact the Campus Visit Coordinator for lodging options.
Reimbursement up to $350 is available to defray the cost of travel for prospective students visiting MIU for the first time. If you’re traveling by car, we reimburse at $0.17/mile. If you’re traveling by plane, train, or bus, please email your trip itinerary to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can determine your reimbursement amount.
Each travel reimbursement recipient is required to attend all scheduled Visitors Weekend meetings and events. Exemptions for missing an event must be determined in advance with the Campus Visit Coordinator. Please allow three to four weeks after the Visitors Weekend for us to process your reimbursement.
Your accommodations will be at the MIU Guest and Conference Center, 1117 Guild Drive, Fairfield IA 52557. We provide bedding, pillows, soap, towels, and extra blankets during your stay. We do not provide shampoo, conditioner, or hair dryers. Please bring any additional items that you consider necessary.
Contact information for Campus Visit Coordinator
- Cell (641) 919-1357
- Office: (641) 470-1321; Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Central Time
The registration fee is $55, which partially covers our costs for the following:
- Lodging in our Visitors Center (single rooms for everyone)
- Organic vegetarian meals in our dining hall
- Transportation and admission to all events
Lodging for arriving early or staying longer
Please contact the Campus Visit Coordinator for lodging options: Office (641) 470-1321 | Cell (641) 919-1357. There are also nearby places to stay off-campus.